I’ve never really been big on New Year’s resolutions. Sure, people have asked me if I have one, but I usually just make one up on the fly and half-heartedly commit to it just to make the conversation move along.
Not this year.
I’m actually planning out my goals for 2019 and I have to say, I’m excited for it! There are so many things in my life that are not allowing me to focus on what I want. I love being prepared and organized, yet when it comes to goals for my everyday-life and what-I-want-to-become parts, I am so messy it makes me feel like I am living my life with no direction! I make sure our family calendar is organized, I plan any gift-giving or parties, I make sure my to-do list and obligations at work are organized and taken care of –– but the “me” part of my life is complete chaos. I have my hands in so many different things, I’m amazed I get anything done! Anyone else feel like this?
Recently, I’ve taken a hard look at my “lifetime” goals and what I’m doing to get there, and you know what? –– I’m not doing anything today that will help me achieve them. This has got to stop. I am in control of my life and will, therefore, TAKE FREAKING CONTROL OF IT!
So, here’s a list of my New Year’s Resolutions for 2019 (in no particular order):
- Simplify yo’ life. I have three Instagram accounts (just deleted a 4th), three FB pages with 5 group pages attached to them altogether, 4 craft projects that I’m working on, and clothes in my closet that I haven’t worn since college….. just to name a few. I WILL simplify my life in 2019 because all of these different accounts/projects are taking my focus in so many different directions, not allowing me to direct my time/energy in one place. I WILL simplify my life in 2019 because all of these different accounts/projects have become a burden trying to keep them up-to-date. I WILL simplify my life in 2019 because all of the clothes and other clutter are just taking up space and make me feel stressed and overwhelmed. SIMPLIFY YO’ LIFE!
- Write. One of my lifetime goals was to be a published author, even if no one ends up reading my book. I started writing my book about two years ago and then stopped. I let all of these distractions keep me from doing what I love, and I’m really mad that I let myself do that. My goal for 2019 is to write at least once a month. It may not sound like a lot to you, but I think it’ll be a great way to ignite that fire again and keep me moving forward.
- Buy only what you love & only what you need. Buy, buy, buy. For a family that wants so desperately to save money and pay off debt, we sure know how to spend it! Now, we work really hard and not spending crazy amounts of money, but there are areas where we could do a little bit better. Amazon is one of those areas –– it’s just so easy to drop things in the cart and checkout! $35 here, $50 there, another $15 quick purchase –– it adds up quickly! I looked back over the last few months and realized that I had ordered something on Amazon ($30+) at least 3 times per month…….. WHAT?!?!?! In addition to that, I bought clothes/shoes on Amazon that (surprise, surprise) I ended up hating and giving away. No more. I WILL buy things that I love and only things that I need.
- Read. I’m so proud of myself for reading 15 books in 2018! My goal at the beginning of the year was to read a book a month, in order to get back into reading. I stuck with it and want to continue reading in 2019. Not only does it help keep me away from my phone and Netflix, it also helps inspire me to write!
- Connect. My husband and I live in Colorado, while my parents & sister live in Tennessee and his parents live in Illinois. As you can probably guess, we don’t get to see much of each other. It kills us being so far away from our family, but we try to call/text them as much as we can. My husband is wayyy better than I am –– he calls his parents almost everyday and vice versa. I need to do a better job connecting with my family. I can lay out every excuse in the book but at the end of the day, I just haven’t done it. I WILL connect with my family more than once/twice a month –– and not just a text here and there. Pick up the phone!
- Get active. Too many days, I come home from work and plop down on the couch before I turn in for the night. When I look in the mirror and hate seeing that extra fluff around my hips, I try to think back to the last time I worked out –– and I can never remember. That’s ridiculous! I’ve already started a system that is helping me move more, and I want to continue it in 2019. I am simply tracking the days that I’m doing something active –– coloring in the day. Since I’ve started, I’ve found that it really motivates me to get more days colored! Get active!!
Who knows if I’ll come up with any more resolutions –– I’m happy with these ones. I do want to come up with a way to stay reminded of these –– how do you keep your resolutions at top of mind?